American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques

Surgical Set collection from 1860 to 1865 - Civilian and Military

Civil War:  Medicine, Surgeon Education & Medical Textbooks

 Dr. Michael Echols  &  Dr. Doug Arbittier

 

 Home page  |   Feedback & Contact Dr. Echols  |  SEARCH this site   |  Article Indexes   |   Medical Faculty & Authors

 Civil War Medical Books  |  Medicine Containers   |   1800's & Civil War Surgery Set Displays

Medical College Index - Lecture Cards  |  Civil War Medical Book Author-Title Index

 

Starling Medical College

Faculty and History

STARLING MEDICAL COLLEGE In 1846 Willoughby Medical College located at Willoughby Lake county Ohio was removed to Columbus with a reorganization of its board of trustees Under that organization one course of lectures was delivered in this city and then the institution abandoned During this term Lyne Starling one of the original proprietors of the site of Columbus executed a deed of trust December 18 1847 to trustees of thirty thousand dollars to be paid in installments for the purchase of a lot and the erection of suitable buildings thereon for a medical college and the establishment of a hospital in connection therewith The trustees named in this bequest were William S Sullivant, John W Andrews, Robert W McCoy Joseph E Swan Francis Carter Samuel M Smith and John Butterfield The trustees on the 2d of January 1848 met and accepted the trust Mr. Starling then increased his generous donation five thousand dollars more making it thirty five thousand dollars Upon application to the legislature Starling Medical College to be located at the State capital was chartered by a special act passed January 28 1848 The board of trustees organized under the charter by electing William S Sullivant president EW McCoy treasurer and Francis Carter secretary

 

The following gentlemen were chosen January 29 1848 members of the faculty: Henry H ChiIds, MD, John Butterfield, MD, Richard L Howard, MD,  Jesse P Judkins, MD,  Samuel M Smith, MD, Frederick Merrick AM, and Francis Carter MD. 

 

During the first year the number of students was 160 and the degree of MD was conferred on thirty two persons and honorary degrees on six OFFICERS. The following are the present officers of the institution President William S Sullivant Secretary Francis Carter Trustees William S Sullivant ,LLD Joseph Sullivant, Esq; Samuel M Smith MD; Francis Carter MD; Hon Joseph R Swan; John W Andrews Esq; James A Wilcox Esq.

 

FACULTY:  S. M Smith MD, Professor of Theory and Practice;  Francis Carter MD, Professor of Obstetrics etc;  Dean J. M. Wheaton MD;  Professor of Anatomy, J. W. Hamilton MD, Professor of Surgery;  S.  Loving MD, Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics;  Theo. G Wormley MD, Ph D, LLD, Professor of Chemistry and Toxicology;  H. C. Pearce MD Professor of Physiology;  W.L. Peck MD Professor of Insanity; D. R. Kinsman MD, Professor of Diseases of Women and Children; Judge J. W. Baldwin Professor of Medical Jurisprudence; D Halderman MD, Lecturer on Venereal Diseases and Demonstrator of Anatomy: Otto Frankenberg MD.  Prosector to the Chair of Anatomy; H.A. Weber Assistant to the Professor of Chemistry.

 

Alter the charter had been granted in the winter of 1848 a lot was procured on the southeast corner of Sixth and State streets on which the present college edifice famed for its unique design and architectural beauty was erected The building was commenced in the spring of 1849 under the superintendence of RA Sheldon architect The address on laying the cornerstone was delivered by Rev Dr Hoge In the fall of 1850 the building had so far progressed that the first course of lectures opened by a general introductory from Prof Carter was delivered in the new edifice that season The superstructure of the building is of brick with a large amount of ornamental cut stone Its extreme length is 135 feet and its height from the ground to the top of the tower is 138 feet The Sisters of St Francis some years ago leased for ninety nine years that part of the building designed for a hospital and since then open for the reception and care of the sick poor and afflicted of all classes and conditions Of this work of charity and labor of love we have given an account in the chapter on charitable institutions The college contains a well stored museum an unrivaled chemical laboratory and all the means for instruction in practical anatomy and other departments of medicine and the hospital conducted by the Sisters of St Francis Of this hospital which is connected with the lecture rooms the faculty distinguished as eminent practitioners are the medical officers The Starling Medical College is an institution of which it is gratifying to speak as a credit and an ornament M our city It has since its commencement graduated about a thousand students who are now practicing in all parts of the country many of them ranking among the most eminent physicians in the profession

 

Medical Antiques Index

American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques Index
 

Contact Dr. Arbittier or Dr. Echols

 

 

Civil War Medical Collections 

 

Direct links to all medical & Civil War collections on this site                         

American Surgical Sets:

Pre-Civil War:  1 | 2  -   Post-Civil War:  3  -  Civil War 1861-1865:  4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8   INDEX

Medical Text-Books:

1 | 1a | 2 | 2a | 3 | 3a | 4 | 4a | 5 | 5a | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 9a | 10 | 11 | 12    INDEX

Surgeon General's Office Library printed catalogues: 1840 | 1864 | 1865
Medical Lecture Cards: 1 | 2 | 34 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21    INDEX

Medical Faculty and Authors:

INDEX

Navy Surgeon Exams:

1863 Navy Surgeon Applicant Exams with Biographies   INDEX ONE | INDEX TWO

Surgeon CDVs, Images:

Army: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8    INDEX

Navy: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8   

Hosp Dep't Bottles, Tins, 

U.S. Army Pannier:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques

Please request permission before commercial use or publication of any content or photos on this site and credit any use with:  "American Civil War Surgical Antiques"   All content and all original photography on this Web Site is copyrighted 1995 - 2015 and may not be used on any other web site or in commercial print without the expressed e-mail permission from Dr. Arbittier:  Contact   All rights reserved. 

 

Students doing reports or projects are welcome to use the content of this site without permission, but credits would be appreciated.

 

Please note: information on this site may not be normally referenced as this is an active and long-term educational research project.  Personal notes may not be properly cited for publication.  Various articles are digitally reproduced under the 'fair-use act' of the copyright laws and are intended for educational purposes only.  Many citations are from Google digital 'books' and can be traced backwards via a search of a unique string in the citation.

 

 Arbittier Museum of Medical History Tour:   1 | 2 | 3

 

Last update: Monday, December 12, 2016