Power, John Hatch (1806-1863) received his
medical license from the RCSI in 1831. In 1847 he was appointed Surgeon to
Jervis Street Hospital. Power became a Fellow of the RCSI in 1844 and three
years later he was elected a member of the Council. His work on
Anatomy of the Arteries of the Human Body Descriptive and Surgical with a
descriptive Anatomy of the Heart.
went to three editions and the edition of
1863 published in Philadelphia
was “authorized and
adopted by the Surgeon-General of the United States Army for use in field
and general hospitals,” during the American Civil War.
Of the papers he
published, the best was On the Structure of the Optic Nerve in Relation
to Reversed Retinal Vision. Power died from typhus fever on 14th May
1863 and is buried in the Groves family tomb in the graveyard of St.
Anatomy of the Arteries of the Human
Descriptive and Surgical, with the
Descriptive Anatomy of the Heart. By
Hatch Power, M.D., F.R.C.S.,
formerly Professor of Surgery in the Royal College of Surgeons; Surgeon
to the City of Dublin Hospital. New edition, with Illustrations from
Drawings made expressly for this work by B. W. Richardson, F.R.C.S.,
Surgeon to the Adelaide Hospital, etc. Foolscap, 8vo., cloth. Plain,
10s. 6d. ; Coloured, 12s.
Power, an Irish surgeon, was
professor of descriptive and practical anatomy at the Royal College of
Surgeons of Ireland and served as surgeon to the City of Dublin
Hospital. His Anatomy of the Arteries of the Human Body, originally
published in Dublin in 1860, was adopted by the Surgeon-General of the
United States Army "for the use of surgeons on the field of battle and
in army hospitals" during the American Civil War. The American edition
reproduces the illustrations of the Dublin edition and adds "numerous
other engravings, executed under the inspection of one of our most
distinguished American anatomists In the general execution of the work,
special reference has been had to making it of the most convenient form
for the surgeon's use" (Publisher's notice). Two bindings have been
noted: the earlier binding has "U. S. Army Medical Department" stamped
in gilt on the front cover, and the later binding's front cover is
stamped with the U. S. Army Medical Department logo.
personal edited research notes of Michael Echols, the source of which
may or may not be completely documented)