This extensive two layer
surgical set, c. 1883 is by Sharp and Smith, who were NOT makers during
the Civil War, and were located at the 73 Randolph address from 1883 to 1899
in Chicago. It's a typical late 1870's design, but the chrome
plating on the tourniquet instead of brass, tells you it's a later set.
Anything with chrome plating is post-1877. All
dates are from the Directory of Makers and Dealers as listed by Edmonson in American Surgical Instruments: an Illustrated History:
J. P. Sharp and Wm. N. Smith ) surgical instruments 1876-82:
1883-99: 73 Randolph
What makes this set
interesting, is it was most likely produced during the era which was the end of 'non-sterilization' sets to
be made in America. We see these 'pre-sterilization' sets being sold in
Europe well into the turn of the century, but not in America. The '80's
would have been the end of the production due to lack of interest by
surgeons who were practicing antiseptic surgery and using all metal and chrome
plated handles instead of the porous non-metallic handles.