The College of Physicians and
Surgeons of the western district of New York, located at
Fairfield, Herkimer county, had its origin in the medical school
established by the trustees of Fairfield academy, in 1809, This
school had acquired some reputation while attached to the
academy. It was even such in the second year of its existence,
as to induce the legislature of the state to endow it with
$5,000, and when it received the rank of college, they
generously added to its funds the further sum of $10,000.
The charter of the college
bears date June 12, 1812, to which is appended the seal of the
university of the state, and signed by DANIEL D. TOMPKINS,
Chancellor of the University of the State of New York. H.
In the charter the following
persons are named as constituting the first board of trustees,
viz.: Westel Willoughby, Jun., Jonathan Sherwood, Luther Giteau,
Solomon Wolcot, Isaac Sears, Abijah Tombling, Amos Hale, Simeon
Ford, Clark Smith, Joseph White, Alexander G. Fonda, Oliver C.
Comstock, John Miller, Isaac Sargeant, Reuben Hart, Amasa
Trowbridge, Francis A. Bloodgood, William D. Ford, James
Kennedy, Oliver Ellis, Andrew A. Bartow, William Smith, John
Stearns and James Hale ; they and their successors were to have
At a meeting of the board of
trustees, held Dec. 1, 1812, the following individuals were
appointed officers of the college, viz.:
Lyman Spalding, professor
of anatomy and surgery.
Westel Willoughby, Jun.,
professor of obstetrics.
professor of chemistry.
John Stearns, professor
of the theory and practice of physic.
The class of 1812-13, as
appears by the records, consisted of eighteen medical students.
During the session of 1813-14, it numbered twenty-four.