Henry Hartshorne, M.D.
View a book by Dr. Horshorne in this collection
Henry Hartshorne, Philadelphia
physician and educator, was born on 16 March 1823. He was the
third child of Joseph Hartshorne (1779-1850), a Philadelphia
physician, and Anna Bonsall, and the
younger brother of
(1818-1885), another Philadelphia physician. Henry Hartshorne
married Mary E. Brown (d.1886) on 8 January 1849; they had a
daughter, Anna Cope Hartshorne (1860-1957). Hartshorne died in
Tokyo on 10 February 1897.
In 1839, Hartshorne received an A.B. from Haverford College (then
Haverford School.) He received his M.D. from the University of
Pennsylvania in 1845; his thesis was entitled, "Water and hydropathy".
Hartshorne received an A.M. in 1860, and the University accorded him
an honorary LL.D. in 1884.
Henry Hartshorne's Medical
Diploma from the University of Pennsylvania 1845
After completing his M.D., Hartshorne served as Resident Physician
at Pennsylvania Hospital from 1846 to 1848. He then opened his
medical practice on 22 April 1848. In 1853-1854, he was
Professor of the Institutes of Medicine at the Philadelphia College
of Medicine. In the following year, he worked in Columbia,
Pennsylvania, during a cholera outbreak there. In 1855, he
became consulting physician and lecturer in clinical medicine at
Philadelphia Hospital. From 1857 to 1858, he lectured on natural
history at the Franklin Institute. In 1859, he became
Professor of the Theory and Practice of Medicine at Pennsylvania
College in Gettysburg and held this post until war broke out in
1861. During the
Civil War, Hartshorne worked at two government hospitals in
Philadelphia and volunteered his medical services at Gettysburg.
He also served as Attending Physician and, later, Physician to the
Protestant Episcopal Hospital (1859-1862) and to the Magdalen Asylum
(1849-1864). He became Professor of Anatomy, Physiology,
Hygiene, and Natural History at Central High School, Philadelphia,
in 1862. In 1866, he taught hygiene as a member of the newly
formed Auxiliary Faculty of Medicine at the University of
Pennsylvania. In 1867, he became Professor of Organic Science
Philosophy, at Haverford College. Also at this time,
Hartshorne became Professor of the Diseases of Children at Woman's
Medical College; he subsequently became Professor of Physiology and
Hygiene and worked for the medical education of women. He left
Woman's Medical College in 1876 to become President of Howland
School in Union Springs, New York; the school closed in 1878.
Hartshorne then returned to Philadelphia and opened the East
Germantown Girls' School which closed in 1880.
Henry Hartshorne visited Japan in 1893 and returned in 1895 to work
in the Quaker missions in that country. He remained
in Japan until his death. He concentrated on the suppression
of the opium traffic in Formosa and improved care for the insane.
Henry Hartshorne was elected to
fellowship in the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1851.
He was also a member
of the Academy of Natural Sciences, the American Philosophical
Society, the Pathological Society of Philadelphia, and the
Pennsylvania State Medical Society. He was one of the founders
of the American Public Health Association in 1872.
From 1873 to 1876 and from 1881 to 1893, he edited the Friends
Review. He published poetry, one novel, many articles on the
physical and natural sciences, and several medical works, including
Essentials of the principles and practice
of medicine (1867) and A conspectus of the medical sciences (1869).
Hartshorne was also the American Medical Association's Prize
Essayist in 1856.
(The personal edited research
notes of Michael Echols, the source of which may or
may not be completely documented)