William Ford and
George Wade joined forces to start an instrument business during 1861 as Wade
and Ford. The business was located in New York at 85 Fulton from 1860 - 1866.
This information is
Instruments: an illustrated history:
& Ford (George Wade and William E Ford)
1860-66: 85 Fulton
William E Ford & Co. (William E Ford and George Gilman)
1866-71: 85 Fulton
You can see the 'ON'
of Fulton Street in what remains of the label which dates this set during
the Civil War period. The central lock (face plate missing) points to it being for civilian
There are two
trephines in the set, one the later conical Galt style and the other the
earlier straight crown style. The Galt style, with the conical shape,
was introduced in 1860 by Gabriel A. D. Galt. (Edmonson: page 92)
The Galt style trephine in this set is identical to one in another
Wade and Ford set on this
site. The slot in the case appears to be for the earlier straight
crown type, but either type would be correct for this era set. The
screw head for the trephine is missing.
The compact mahogany
case measures: 1 3/4 x 7 3/8 x 2 5/8 inches.