American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques

Surgical Set collection from 1860 to 1865 - Civilian and Military

Civil War:  Medicine, Surgeon Education & Medical Textbooks

 Dr. Michael Echols  &  Dr. Doug Arbittier

 

 Home page  |   Feedback & Contact Dr. Echols  |  SEARCH this site   |  Article Indexes   |   Medical Faculty & Authors

 Civil War Medical Books  |  Medicine Containers   |   1800's & Civil War Surgery Set Displays

Medical College Index - Lecture Cards  |  Civil War Medical Book Author-Title Index

 

 

Pre-1864 Civil War Medical Colleges

 

Wanted: Graduation Catalogues and Lecture Cards or Tickets for

 Washington Medical College of Baltimore, established 1826-39

 

Selling lecture cards?   Please Contact us

Lecturers:   James H. Miller, Samuel K. Jennings, William W. Handy, John C. S. Monker, Edward Foreman, John R. W. Dunbar, Washington R. Handy

In 1833 the college obtained an independent charter from the legislature of Maryland In 1838 it erected a building on north Broadway being a part of that now occupied by the Church Home and Infirmary This building was used both as a general and Marine Hospital and as a place for medical teaching In its new location the college prospered for a time A new charter was obtained from the legislature which gave it the title of Washington University with authority to annex to itself the faculty of law divinity arts and sciences The latter authority was never exercised but the Washington University continued until 1849 t0 conduct its work in its building on North Broadway At that time its location was so far from the center of population in the city that it was decided by its faculty to abandon the Broadway site and to locate on the northeast corner of Lombard and Hanover streets A building long known as the New Assembly Rooms was erected by the University and occupied for several years when financial embarrassment overtook the faculty and brought about a suspension of the university work for the next fifteen years After an existence of 24 years during which time it had enjoyed a fair degree of prosperity the active work of the institution was brought to an unfortunate end

 

In 1867 Dr Edward Warren afterward distinguished as a surgeon in the Egyptian army and a few of his associates secured the old charter of Washington University and reorganized a medical college which found a location in a large building on the northeast corner of Calvert and Saratoga streets now occupied by the new building of the College of Physicians and Surgeons An appropriation was obtained from the State which enabled the reorganized university to secure a hospital and other facilities for medical instruction In its new location it enjoyed for several years good classes of students and an appearance of prosperity

 

In 1872 owing to disagreement in its faculty Dr Warner resigned and in association with several prominent physicians in this city organized the College of Physicians and Surgeons which in the spring of 1877 took over the property and franchises of the Washington University and put an end to the latter's checkered career The College of Physicians and Surgeons was incorporated under the general laws of Maryland with the following names as corporators Edward Warren MD professor of surgery Thos Opie MD professor of obstetrics John S Lynch MD professor of principles and practice of medicine WW Murray MD professor of materia medica etc Peter Goolrich MD professor of medical jurisprudence and toxicology

 

Its first course of lectures began in October 1872 in the New Assembly Rooms Numerous changes in its faculty were made in the first years of its life Dr Warren a moving spirit in its organization soon resigned to accept a high position in the service of the Khedive of Egypt In attendance upon its first course of lectures were forty two students of whom eighteen were graduated at the end of the session In 1874 the Maternite was opened on Lombard street the first lying in hospital ever established in Maryland

 

The taking over of the franchise and property of the Washington University in 1877 at once placed the College of Physicians and Surgeons on a successful and permanent basis.  Its faculty was privately reorganized and greatly strengthened by numerous resignations and additions Zeal energy and co operation characterized its teaching staff its property interests were strengthened and a spirt of progress soon placed the institution in the front rank of the medical schools in this country a position which it now holds The College of Physicians and Surgeons now owns a valuable college building located on the site of the old Washington University at the northwest corner of Calvert and Saratoga streets connected with the Mercy Hospital under the management of the Sisters of Mercy one of the largest and most up to date hospitals in the country The College has large classes of students and is equipped with every facility for medical teaching It has graduated hundreds of physicians who occupy useful and distinguished positions in the medical profession It has contributed an honorable fame to Baltimore as a center of medical education.

 

 

 

TOPICS TYPICALLY LISTED ON LECTURE CARDS

Anatomy

Physic

Lectures and theory

Surgery

Medica materia or

Materia medica

Anatomy and physiology

Chemistry

Surgical anatomy

Surgical pathology

Clinical surgery

Military surgery

Pathology and practical medicine

Medicine and surgery

Principals practice and operations of surgery

Department of medicine

Ophthalmology

Dermatology

Nervous diseases

Gynaecology

Venereal diseases

Laryngology

Obstetrics

Children

Midwifery

Orthopedic surgery

Comparative anatomy

Operative surgery

Physiology

 

 

Medical Lecture Cards:

1 | 2 | 34 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20

Index of Medical Colleges in existence prior to and during the Civil War

Medical Antiques Index

American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques Index
 

Contact Dr. Arbittier or Dr. Echols

 

 

Civil War Medical Collections 

 

Direct links to all medical & Civil War collections on this site                         

American Surgical Sets:

Pre-Civil War:  1 | 2  -   Post-Civil War:  3  -  Civil War 1861-1865:  4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8   INDEX

Medical Text-Books:

1 | 1a | 2 | 2a | 3 | 3a | 4 | 4a | 5 | 5a | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 9a | 10 | 11 | 12    INDEX

Surgeon General's Office Library printed catalogues: 1840 | 1864 | 1865
Medical Lecture Cards: 1 | 2 | 34 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21    INDEX

Medical Faculty and Authors:

INDEX

Navy Surgeon Exams:

1863 Navy Surgeon Applicant Exams with Biographies   INDEX ONE | INDEX TWO

Surgeon CDVs, Images:

Army: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8    INDEX

Navy: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8   

Hosp Dep't Bottles, Tins, 

U.S. Army Pannier:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques

Please request permission before commercial use or publication of any content or photos on this site and credit any use with:  "American Civil War Surgical Antiques"   All content and all original photography on this Web Site is copyrighted 1995 - 2015 and may not be used on any other web site or in commercial print without the expressed e-mail permission from Dr. Arbittier:  Contact   All rights reserved. 

 

Students doing reports or projects are welcome to use the content of this site without permission, but credits would be appreciated.

 

Please note: information on this site may not be normally referenced as this is an active and long-term educational research project.  Personal notes may not be properly cited for publication.  Various articles are digitally reproduced under the 'fair-use act' of the copyright laws and are intended for educational purposes only.  Many citations are from Google digital 'books' and can be traced backwards via a search of a unique string in the citation.

 

 Arbittier Museum of Medical History Tour:   1 | 2 | 3

 

Last update: Monday, December 12, 2016